Many people, especially adults, suffer from Insomnia or have difficulty falling asleep. Lack of sleep can cause a lot of negative effects on our health. People who are often sleep deprived are prone to medical conditions such as:
- Hypertension or high blood pressure that can lead to stroke and heart attack.
- Anxiety and depression because both the brain and the body become overworked. In extreme cases, getting a smart bed can help solve the problem.
- Obesity or weight gain, since people who sleep fewer hours tend to eat more food and make unhealthy choices.
- Increased risk for Diabetes, Cancer, and Dementia or memory loss.
- Weakened immune system.
These health issues can be prevented if we do the following tips on how to improve the quality and quantity of our sleep:
1) Strictly no gadgets, including the TV shouldn’t be in the bedroom- Many of us are guilty of bringing cell phones, laptops, and tablets inside our room. These things distract us from sleeping early. The best solution is to turn off all your gadgets or put them on silent mode before going to bed. We should also avoid placing the TV inside the bedroom because of the noise and lights which causes a lot of distraction and prevents us from going into a deep slumber.
2) Invest in a good bed and nice pillows- Getting a smart bed and orthopedic pillows are good investments if you want to get quality sleep every night. Replace the old and deformed mattresses every 5 years and get new pillows every 2-3 years to prevent back and neck pains that can also cause sleep deprivation.
3) Use an oil diffuser and essential oils- If you want to maximize your sleeping hours, you might want to look into buying a diffuser and adding a couple of drops of lavender oil. It’s known to help you sleep better and faster. You can buy these online or at department stores.
4) Fix your body clock- It means following a strict bedtime schedule by going to bed at a certain time and waking up at the same time every day. As much as possible, do not allow your routine to be disrupted because it’s difficult to go back to the same pattern. Ideally, get to bed at around 10 pm and wake up between 5-6am so you would feel more energized in the morning. This will make you more productive and focused for the whole day.
5) Take a warm shower before going to bed- Showers help lower down our body temperature and make us feel more relaxed and sleepier. Do this an hour before bedtime, and you can also drink a glass of warm milk to help you sleep better at night.
We hope this article can help you get a good night’s sleep as much as possible and as often as you can. If you have done all the things that were discussed above and still you have sleep issues, then you should consult a sleep specialist to have yourself tested.